Advantages of a Right Angle Bevel Gearbox
Gears are fundamentally important components in equipment that moves because they transfer power from the source to moving parts.
Gears can increase or decrease torque between moving components, set or change the rotational speed, and reverse the rotational direction. Obviously, though, you would want very different gearing in your fishing reel versus in your car’s differential or in various types of industrial equipment.
Right-angle gearboxes are very common in manufacturing and industrial settings because they are designed as a package of gears and bearings to support rotational energy efficiently. But what’s inside those gearboxes? Most use gears that have straight teeth arranged in a helical formation that intermesh as they rotate. But some right angle gearboxes use bevel gears instead.
Why Choose a Right Angle Bevel Gearbox?
Bevel gears come in several styles, each geometrically different:
- Straight bevel
- Spiral bevel
- Zerol bevel
At Branham, we manufacture multiple types of right angle gearboxes one style with bevel gears. We have found that spiral bevel operation offers particular advantages for certain applications, so we offer these gearboxes in both 1:1 and 2:1 ratios, either of which is available in anodized or nickel plated aluminum or stainless steel for washdown environments. When higher gear ratios are required, helical right angle or worm drive gearboxes may be better choices.
The advantages of spiral bevel right angle gearboxes are as follows:
- Bevel gears operate on-plane. Since they don’t have to be offset like helical gears, they can be effective alternatives where rotation on the same plane is required or space limitations don’t allow for a helical gearbox.
- Spiral bevel right angle gearboxes provide more robust performance because the greater surface area of the teeth supports higher torques and higher speeds.
- The teeth mesh gradually and more precisely than straight-toothed gears, so you get quieter, smoother operation with minimal vibration. Smoother, more precise operation also increases efficiency because there is minimal loss of torque or power and less heat production.
- Spiral bevel gears distribute loads more evenly, which produces less wear and tear.
- Spiral bevel right angle gearboxes are versatile, able to transfer power to the left, to the right, or in both directions.
- The gearbox can also be designed for counter rotational operation, where one shaft is turning clockwise and the other is turning counterclockwise.
These advantages make spiral bevel right angle gearboxes a sound choice—often the preferred option—for a wide range of applications, such as:
- Textile equipment
- Mattress sewing equipment
- Material handling equipment
- Cartoning and packaging equipment
- Theatrical rigging
So do you need a spiral bevel right angle gearbox, or one with helical gears or even worm drive gearboxes? This detailed guide will help you decide. Of course, you can always contact our Branham team for answers to your questions and get recommendations about the best choice for your specific application. We love a good challenge and love finding solutions even more.